Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Never Hold Back!


I just wanted to take a moment to talk about how you can avoid making one of the most common mistakes in your own investigation.  Holding back what you 'think' you know.

After watching thousands of hours of criminal investigation shows, I've learned one major thing.  No one wants to get 'involved' because they don't think they 'know' anything, or they think that what they want to tell police, has already been said.  9 times out of 10, everyone else is thinking the same thing and then no one says anything at all.

A lot of people think that unless a Policeman/woman shows up at their door, that their opinion isn't worth anything.  The truth is, it's worth a lot more then you give it credit for.  You might be that one person that's opinion solves the case, all it takes is just one phone call!

Another problem people who have, is trying to figure out 'who' to call if they have information.  Most fliers say 'Call the police station' to give information, but what does that mean? 911?  The answer is both a yes and a no.  Many people are put off on the idea of calling 911 to give information, that it is strictly for 'emergencies'.  Well that is true, if you can't find any other way to give your information, 911 is an option.  All you have to do, is call them and say to the operator, "I have information regarding so-so's missing person/unidentified case and would like an officer to call me."  And that's it.  The dispatcher will then take your information and then pass it to an available officer and they will call you back to speak with you further.

If you're still put off on the idea of dialing 911, then, if you can get to a computer, try and 'Google' your city's 'Non-Emergency' number.  You will still be calling a dispatcher, but it'll be routed a little differently because they will know you're calling a Non-Emergency number.

Even better yet though, if you can find the detective's number who's handling the Missing Person/Unidentified or Criminal case, call it!  It is usually printed on the missing person fliers or listed under the John Doe or Jane Doe case on the Doe Network!

Personally for me, I prefer to send e-mails to start out, that way I can give links to where I found information, attach pictures I might have compared, etc etc, but if I run into an issue where I can't send an e-mail, (which I have!) then making a phone call is the next logical step!

But the bottom line to all of this is, never hold back information.

I am a mom of 2 with no college degree to speak of.  I stay at home and sell items on eBay for a living and to make ends meet.  The only thing I have is my personal opinion based on the research I do online, but you know what I've found?  That it is enough.

Right now, I'm waiting for a call from a Detective who took my e-mail seriously.

I compared a skull recreation against a missing person's picture who went missing less then an hour away from where the unidentified remains were found.  I took a shot in the dark and compared them as best I could and when I was finished, I couldn't look away without saying something.  I had that 'What if' factor hanging over my head... What if no one has ever considered what I see here, what I've found here, what if no one's called in about this person, 'What if this really is him and I stay silent?'.

I wrote that e-mail and attached the pictures I compared, provided all the links that I researched and within 24 hours I got one back from the detective who asked me to call him.  I did so and he told me I was his first lead it 2 years.  That he took my e-mail so seriously that he went to the family of the missing person and collected DNA for comparison and even divulged information about the unidentified remains.

I can't tell you how good that felt to know I helped.  Whether I am right or wrong on this, the fact that this detective listened to what I had to say when I never thought in a million years he would, it felt amazing inside.

Because of this, I am now fully devoted to dedicating my spare time in helping solve other cases.

I am still awaiting the call from Detective who has promised to contact me as soon as he gets the DNA comparison back and I'm am anxiously waiting by the phone.

So remember, if you have information, don't hold back, don't think that someone else has already made the call, make yourself be heard!  You just might be holding in that last lead the detectives need to bring closure to a loved one's family or to bring that missing person home again!

Make that call!

1 comment:

  1. If you need to remotely hack a cell phone, track a specific location, or find a missing person unethically, contact extremeinfiltrators@gmail.com
    It’s strictly confidential

    ReplyDelete